Thursday, February 14, 2013

Wheel of the Year

Before I fully invested in the Nation of Gods and Earths, I did a lot of searching. I spent a LOT of time (a few years) with Wiccans. Even though it wasn’t what I was looking for, I learned a lot. I’m all about the NGE principle of “taking the best part” or the homegrown wisdom of “eat the chicken, spit out the bones.” Meaning I will retain what is useful and discard what isn’t. The wheel of the Year is a concept of platting the year out through astronomical events. There are major Sabbats: 2 solstices and 2 equinoxes. And in between there are other “lesser” Sabbats. The major ones are astronomically and astrologically predictable. They mark the change of seasons. The lesser ones are usually a specific date that falls in between the major Sabbats. All the Sabbats are fun if done correctly. And I’m all about scheduled fun. Two of the lesser Sabbats are Imbolc and Lamas. Both of these days are Celtic in origin. I just can’t deal with anything that isn’t original and I am really okay with that. So these days and their traditions don’t mean anything to me outside of them being a good day for getting my gardens started. Imbolc starts my summer garden, Lamas my winter one. Strangely, when you look at the dates on an almanac, those dates are ALWAYS appropriate to plant. So I continue to celebrate the Major Sabbats (but not the way the Wiccans do)… because they are a symbol of the relationship between the Sun, Moon and Earth. And if you know anything about NGE, you know that those are significant to us. And I to a lesser degree enjoy the lesser holidays because they are useful to me and my cipher. Peace PS: I miss jumping naked over fires in May……

No comments:

Post a Comment