Monday, February 18, 2013

Lunar Gardening.

Peace

I am employing the philosophy of lunar gardening to my garden this year. I have always used the almanac, but now that my plot is bigger, shit just got real.

Lunar gardening means that certain activities should be done in specific moon phases. When you google it, it is confusing. But I’m a break it down so even your 12 y.o. can understand it…

Most folks know that the moon affects the tides. Bit the theory behind LG and a lot of other modalities is that it also affects anything thing with water. The human body is 3/4th water and most plants are as well. LG wants to schedule garden activities when the moon is most harmonious with the plant. The moon has essentially 4 phases. New/dark, waxing, full & waning... and in that order.

Waxing means the time when the moon appears to be growing. You know what full is, and Waning is when the moon appears to be getting smaller. New/dark refers to the same time when you don’t see the moon. It’s like birth-death.

Plants fall into 2 categories: above ground and below ground. That seems self explanatory. But let me know I you need to know which plants are which. LOL! If you are planting from seed (I am) then you want to sow the seeds of above plants during the new moon and below plantings during a full moon. You can sow seeds during the waxing phase, but it’s best when it’s new.

The waning phase is the best time to harvest and do garden chores. So New-Full = planting. Full-new = maintenance. See? That’s easy.

Is this complete and utter bullshit? Quite possibly. But folks have been using this method for 10’s of thousands of years with success. My own people used this method. I’m going with it. I have had the experience of “spring fever” and not looking at the almanac or even up in the sky and having lack luster results with my plants, for no real reason. I can’t say it’s because I didn’t follow this method and I can’t say it’s because I did. What can it hurt? Another good reason why I personally feel that LG is the way to go is because current humans have lost touch with the Earth and her seasons. Gardening in using the elements puts me back into a harmonious relationship with the Earth and I like that.


Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment