Thursday, February 28, 2013

Got to be more careful!

Peace,

It has been 1 week… and my seeds haven’t germinated at all! I am crushed. I normally do a 50:50 mix of potting soil to compost, and that always worked for me. But this time I used a soil that said it was especially for planting seeds. Because the Wal-Mart I went to didn’t have any compost. I did kind of mess the soil up… Apparently I was supposed to mix it with water BEFORE I put it in my cups. Hmmm…That was so different from my usual method I didn’t even consider it could be different. I admit to my mistakes. But what can I do at this point they are already started and it’s not like I can take the seed out and re-use them. So this is what I did….

1. I poked holes in the bottom to drain the excess water.
2. I moved the ‘plants’ from the sunroom (that doesn’t get much sun) to the top of the refrigerator. It’s warm up there and its closer to the kitchen light.
3. I'm going to cover them with plastic wrap so that they don't dry out

I have a sun lamp to shine on the ‘plants’ but apparently that isn’t enough. My sunroom is openly attached to the house. It’s bricked in. There is a doorway and a pass thru. But it is much cooler in there than in the rest of the house. And the last frost date won’t pass until some time in March possibly April. I don’t really have a sunny location to get these seeds going. The only sunny spots are filled with a spoiled Black cat who likes to sun himself. Should I put something in his spots (they change as the sun moves around), he will knock it unapologetically on the floor. Spoiled cat….

So I will see if these changes give me seedlings. These seeds were supposed to germinate in 7 days. Today is day 7. I guess 14 is the new 7.

I’m thinking they won’t get in the ground until some time in April? My old people said that I should plant in the ground on Good Friday (March 29, 2013). That seems like a lot of work for such a religious day….


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment