Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Spring Onion: Pass!

Peace.

This is a post I meant to blog about last summer. But since I’m all garden gung ho, I’d figure I share now.

I’m not growing onions in my garden. I grow them in my kitchen.



You know why? Because in the summer, I like spring onions and spring onions re-grow themselves.

Last year I saw that on pinterest. You cut spring onions down to the white part and leave them in water and they grow back. And they do. It was very exciting. I knew you could do that with lettuce, with cabbage, with celery and some other things but never actually tried it. Let me tell you what I did…

(1) Use a clean jar. I used glass because that’s what I had. I suppose you could use plastic.

(2) Stick the hairy white part down in down in the jar and make sure there is enough water. I used ½ a jar. It’s not like you could cut that low.

(3) I didn’t stick these in a sunny window because I only have 1 window in my kitchen. I did however stick them near a sunny window and they did just fine

(4) Cut regularly. Even if you aren’t using them otherwise they will spoil.

(5) They taste best when eaten or cooked right from the plant.



This was a wonderful find for me but there are a few things you need to keep in mind…

(1) Don’t overcrowd the jar you store them in. When I 1st tried it, I put 2 bunched in 1 jar. That was not a good idea because I couldn’t water them like I wanted. They grew back only twice then went sour and moldy. Keep no more than 4 or 5 shoots in 1 spaghetti jar.

(2) Change the water every week or they will spoil

(3) Keep more than 1 jar. It takes 1-2 weeks for them to grow back to full length so you want to stagger how you cut them

(4) Make sure they get cut regularly and store the cuttings, even if you aren’t eating them in the fridge. Otherwise they will stop producing and die.

I bought the initial starters when they went on sale for $1 for 2 bunches. That was me being cheap. It still worked. Since I know that this will last a long time if kept up, I will pay extra for the organic onions at the farmers market.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment