Monday, February 18, 2013

How much is enough?


Peace.

Now that I’m moving forward with this garden plan…. The question that looms and has never been answered to my satisfaction is How much of each plant should I grow?

I know the truthful answer is to do it year after year and gain experience with it to see. But I don’t want to wait that long!

There are just 2 of us. And I’m not growing anything he doesn’t eat. (Although I saw some asparagus seeds and was like hmmmm?). So essentially, I will be planting for 2. In the past I grew for 1 or for fun. But I’m being super serious this year. And I’m planning to do a bit of canning as well.

Yes I can! You should too. We are soooooo dependent on external sources for our sustenance. My old people taught this talent to me when I was young. And I was like, “Why do I need to know how to do this?” I suppose it took. I can when folks bring me unexpected stuff. I save 1 can to give them back at the appropriate time so I can guarantee another ‘unexpected’ bounty. Folks never return the can the lid or anything. They must think it’s easy like what comes from the store.

So far… right now…my plan…. is subject to change…. I am planning on 3 of every different type of plant I have going. When it comes to the 3 sisters mound, I’m planning 3 mounds in succession. That should feed us. I’m going to do planting after planting after planting…. of lettuce. You can grow that stuff into the cold weather. I wanna be able to really eat from this garden and not just have a few meals here and there that show case the food. That is the purpose of this working garden rather than just a few plants here and there. Healthy, locally grown organic food that for the most part is not genetically modified. Plus food you’ve grown in your own garden tastes better. IDK if it is because it’s super fresh or what.

So… Any answers for my query? I see y'all looking but no one is saying anything. Help a sista out please!


Peace.

PS: I’m also trying to lure a stray dog to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment