Monday, February 18, 2013

Seeds!

Peace.

I’m excited. I just got my seeds in the mail. I went with a combo of Home Depot seeds and Baker heirloom seeds. There is a reason….

HD seeds are more than likely genetically modified. The heirloom seed promised that they would not be GMOs. Now why didn’t I get everything from one place or the other? I wasn’t price. They were essentially the same. The heirlooms were actually cheaper, but once you factor in the s&h, everything evened out.

Parts of me were like, “I want it now!” Those seeds came from HD. Other parts of me were like, “I need to choose healthier, safer options.” Those seeds came from the catalog. Also, it didn’t help that the catalog came late, and I didn’t have any money to get my seeds started on 2/2/2013. So stuff happens….

I plan to be very organic with this garden. VERY. I have already started collecting branches for staking and trellising. So really I should have ordered all my seeds…. OK. I’ll keep note of what is GMO vs. what isn’t. I won’t be saving seeds from the GMO plants either.

All in all, I think I spent $50 for the seeds, cups, soil, etc. That is about 2 weeks worth of groceries for me alone. I’m very low key when it comes to food. The God, however, is not. So if I get 2 weeks worth of food from this garden, then I will have made my money back.

OK, I didn’t get my seeds before Imbolc. I missed that window for planting. The next time it will be good to plant, according to my farmer almanac, will be 2/21/2013. That should be my 2nd planting. But it will have to be my 1st and my subsequent plantings will be later. Lesson learned. But I’m ready now!!!!



Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment