Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Reflections....

I mentioned in other blogs but not specifically in this one that I have been on a challenge. Afriend of mine bet me that I could not, not shop for 1 year. I can shop at thrift stores, Black owned jammies and make my own clothes, but not purchase ready to wear clothes. I'll share the link at the end. I started this challenge 10 months ago. Which means I only have 2 more months and then I can unleash havoc in the malls again. Seriously, the credit card people have been calling to check on me. These are my observations....

(1) I have too many clothes
I say this after being o this challenge for nearly a year. And I have gotten rid of many articles of clothing. Before the challenge started, I rid myself of 10 industrial garbage bags of clothes. That's a damn shame. I live in a temperate climate, I don't need more than a 1-season wardrobe. I don't need 8 coats and so on. I need to pair down my wardrobe to 1 season, but with a few categories... work, weekend, workout, etc.

(2) Shopping should not be a hobby
I really like to shop for myself. Seriously. I will travel here and there for what I want. and the browsing. That has got to stop. And I have shopping outfits. A sure sign that I have given it waaaaaay too much thought and attention.

(3) I'm not a bad seamstress
I used to make stuff. Not clothes. But I have made a lot of clothes these last 10 months and have a lot more planned. I actually am not bad at what I do, and folks can't tell that it's homemade. I am very pleased.


(4) There is nothing wrong with thrift stores.
Folks need to stop tripping. If all people could buy was new cars, there would be a lot of jokers walking. I no longer have a problem buying thrift store clothes... and shoes! I will draw the line at unmentionables... as if ithey'd have some to fit me.

(5) I need to have other hobbies
A shopping hobby is dangerous to my finances.

Okay. that's the short list for now. I'm certain I'll add on more. But I will tell you.... I'm already putting money away for September 27, 2009. that day I return to the Mall. Just not so much...



Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment