Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Now I Know

I AM PISSED!!!!!!!! Aint even funny.

Lately I have been trolling a lot of sewing blogs. These women make extraordinary garments using patterns. I have had success with patterns. When I 1st started sewing, my ole Earth bought me patterns of different garments she thought would be easy and appropriate. I took a class and followed all the instructions and the garments sucked!!! I was so frustrated I stopped fooling with the machine. My father sewed (his mother taught ALL her children, he crocheted too!) and he said that I didn’t need a pattern to make clothes. Just study the clothes and copy them. I followed Daddy’s advice and became a sewing bootlegger! It was beautiful. That is the way I sew today.

But like I said earlier, I have been entranced by these various blogs. They showing off all their projects. Humph! So I go to Hancocks, find me an EZ pattern (that’s what it said on the package), buy the material and notions, cut out the pattern, cut the material based on the pattern and sewed it up based on the directions. Took me hours! Guess what? IT DOESN”T FIT!!!!!! Argh! Let me tell you why I’m pissed….

I have made skirts before. Zippers don’t scare me. For the plain pencil skirt I would have made sans the pattern, it would have taken me 1 hour tops. This joker took all evening! And I wasted my notions, money, and material. The fabric was a lovely navy blue linen caught on sale because this is the end of the summer season. I got the last bit that was on the bolt. They didn’t have anymore. If I want to make another on (which I’d be forced to if I wanted to have a blue linen pencil skirt) I have to go on a hunt for the same fabric. Y’all see how inconvenienced I am?

Well I have learned my lesson. And I’m a take the best part. The best part being is I should pat myself on the back for trying something new. Okay it didn’t work out, but now I know I’m far more competent than I led myself to believe. And the best part can also be that I am going to save a lot of money by not purchasing anymore patterns!

I’m a start a quilt tonight and I ain’t gonna fret that I do that non-traditionally either.



Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment