Thursday, July 2, 2009

Garbage Bags


This is new experiment.


The price of everything is ridiculous! My bad, I mean utterly ridiculous. I hate having to shell out $4 for garbage bags to get ist out of the house. But what can you do? Some things you just have to pay for. Ummmm..... NO!


I have never figured out a way to recycle grocery bags. Yeah you can return them to the store but, you have already paid for them and now you just giving them back? I can't do that. You can throw them away, but that isn't envioronmentally responsible. You can save them and have a big pile of them, but that's annoying and you really can'g give them out with any reularity. Hmmmm..... I know, I'm going to use them as trash bags.


Now, I already see problems. the store grocery bags are thinner and smaller that regular bags. In order to use them as trash bags I will have to double them up. They won't fit the garbage pail I own and they will look tacky on the side of the road.


All very valid points. Now let me counteract them. I have a stack of these damn bags that is almost as tall as me, and already wider. Doubling them when I need to will not be a problem. Hell they double them in the store. No they won't fit the garbage pail I normally use. Luckily the pail came with a smaller matching pail that will fit the bags lovely. I will put all the little bags in a bigger container. I already have a big trash can with a lid. I'm good. This next point is the most crucial aspect of the experiment. It is the reason why I think this will work.... I recycle. All paper, cans, bottles, and plastics have their own recepticles in my home. So ther is very little other waste that would go in the regular trash. So those little plastic grocery bags should do the trick.


Today marked the beginning of my experiment because it is change the cat litter day. I always want that in a secure bag. Litter is heavy and will slip through the holes in grocery store bags. So I will keep this periodically updated via comments to let you know how all turns out.

2 comments:

  1. I'm hating this.. It's messy and the bags are small. But I'm not hating spending an ass of money on trash bags. I'm a keep at it. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lived with this for a few weeks and..... its not so bad. It was just a matter of getting used to it. That little trash container didn't work. I keep everything in a lined garbage bowl. And I dump the trash frequently in the bigger garbage can. Everytime I go to the grocery store I think, "Who! More garbage bags!"

    Not bad at all.

    ReplyDelete