Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Old College Try

I sew. But I have never had success with a pattern. Since I have been on a self imposed shopping restriction for 1 year (Will be up 9/21/2009) I have been making my own clothes. I'm not bad at it. But... I never saw the need to purchase patterns.

I'm a female and I'm righteous and that means I observe a 3/4 requirement for refinement. In imitation of the planet, I cover my body 3/4 with clothes. Simple as that. I prefer to create my own clothes because I don't want to look like a Mormon or a Muslim. Not that there is anything wrong with them, it's just not who I am and I don't want to convey that impression.

I started sewing age 13. I used patterns back then. Nothing ever came out right. My father sewed. Not because it was his job, but because his mother sewed and taught ALL her children. He said my grandmother never used a pattern, just fashioned items after things she already had and relied heavily on pictures. Once I started doing that, my sewing jumped to new heights. Now that I'm sewing consistently again, and with the advent of the internet, I have been checkingout all kinds of blogs. All these women use patterns. Hmmmmmm......

I was in Hancocks (they are having a ridiculous sale) and their patterns were on sale too. I searched and bought one for a very plain skirt. A skirt I have made before without a pattern. Hmmmmm..... I'm gonna give it another try. I only bought the one. Lets see if something has changed in the last 20 years.

I'll keep you posted.


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment