Thursday, April 12, 2012

Overnight Oatmeal: Pass!

Peace,

On the internet there is a plethora of overnight Oatmeal recipes. One of my pet peeves with recipes is that the people who comment say things like, “Yummy looking” or “Can’t wait to try this” or any of a number of uber-positive comments. But nothing useful. Like does it work? And I shouldn’t just blame this particular recipe; it’s like that with tutorials of every type. No REAL feedback.

So I just want to tell you that overnight oatmeal does work. Equal amounts of yogurt, milk and rolled oats left in the fridge overnight will yield some nice texture oatmeal. It will have the yogurt tang though if you like it or can get passed that. I don’t know why there is yogurt in it in the 1st place, but all the recipes say use yogurt so I did. I used blueberry yogurt and soy milk. It’s what I had. I was experimenting and not planning to buy a bunch of stuff for a test. It still worked. Also, because it was in the refrigerator all night it was be cold. I don’t often like cold things when the weather is chilly, but I can see myself enjoying this in the summer. I wonder if it must sit in the refrigerator even if it is covered. I suspect the yogurt will get more tangy.I will try that next.

I read you can do this with oat groats if you want to avoid the processed rolled oats, but who eats groats? It’s like eating wheat berries. The rolling of groats is not really all that processed but folks have their limits.

So if you want to try this, I recommend it. It worked. A cool way to get a jump on breakfast if you don’t have a million hours to cook or someone to cook for you.


Peace

PS: I am striving to get away from milk based products outside of cheese and butter. And even reduce my cheese consumption, and playing with alternatives to butter; but butter is so GOOD! So my next ‘test’ will be homemade coconut yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment