Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bathroom Cleaner - Pass!

Peace.

This weekend I was very busy trying stuff. I made washing powder, coconut yogurt and bathroom cleaner. I’m not ready to build on the yogurt and washing powder but I am ready to report on the bathroom cleaner.

Premise:
A DIY bathroom cleaner that alleges to cut grease and soap scum quickly and cheaply using relatively easy products to find.

Background:
Let me get started by giving you the recipe and source: http://www.food.com/recipe/tub-and-shower-magic-434275.

Method:
Equal amounts of Dawn and hot vinegar placed in a spray bottle and shake gently until combined. I added the Dawn first and then the hot vinegar to it. The directions say do it the other way around and they also say that when you do that you get major bubbles that slow you down.

Data:
I did a lot if internet research and I did not determine that one way over the other made a difference. And I didn’t have the bubble issue with vinegar added to soap.

Vinegar costs $.75. Dawn costs $1.15. So less than $2 for a full bottle of the cleaner. A full bottle of this solution was 2x the weight of the scrubbing bubbles. And I don’t use name brand bubbles. My bootleg bubbles cost $1. So this stuff is half the cost 1/2 of my usual cleaner.

Results
Did it work? Yes. I have been using it as a bathroom cleaner and it worked as well as the scrubbing bubbles I normally use. When you think about it makes sense. Dawn’s claim to fame is that it is a grease cutter. And vinegar is a strong acid. So together why wouldn’t it work? And it was cheaper than my old cleaner. Win, win.

But there are some negatives. The smell is very strong. I couldn’t stay for long periods of time in the bathroom or be super close to the solution without coughing. The solution burned my hands the mist irritated my face; so factor in the cost of gloves and possibly a mask.

Conclusion:
Right now I’m satisfied. I will be making this repeatedly in the future. I do wonder if I can make this with regular dish soap or does it have to be Dawn? I will check on that in subsequent experiments.

Hope this was helpful.



Peace

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I currently make my own laundry detergent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila I have a surprise for you with my next build.

      Delete
  2. Interesting topic for a blog. I have been searching the Internet for fun and came upon your website. Fabulous post. Thanks a ton for sharing your knowledge! It is great to see that some people still put in an effort into managing their websites. I'll be sure to check back again real soon. Vinduespolering Åbenrå

    ReplyDelete