Monday, April 23, 2012

DIY Coconut Yogurt - Mostly Pass

Peace. I really felt like I had to wait before I could truly give this recipe an objective review. I feel like I have a feel now. Why: I have been striving to remove dairy from my diet. It bloats me. That means no yogurt. But I love yogurt. I could use soy yogurt. But…. I could. I am not a soy hater; but I don’t think folks should be overloading their diets with the stuff either. We get a lot of soy in processed foods, so adding it extra, if you don’t have to, doesn’t really make sense to me. And of course, if it’s natural and inexpensive, it’s a plus. A BIG plus. Method: Here is the site for the recipe and technique I used…. http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2010/08/homemade-vegan-yogurt-in-the-crock-pot/ Must give credit where credit is due. And I use brown sugar, simply because I don’t use white sugar anymore Data I made 2 batches with canned milk. I suppose I could have made my own coconut milk, but that would have been more expensive, time consuming and not worth it. One with probiotic caps, one with a tablespoon of soy yogurt. The one made with probiotics never thickened correctly and the milk kept separating. Now that could be because the probiotics were dead or because it just wasn’t going to happen. Either way, it wasn’t successful. The batch made with leftover yogurt thickened much better but not the consistency of store bought yogurt but enough for me to be satisfied with the result. It thickened more once it went into the refrigerator and it doesn’t separate as much as the probiotic yogurt. It has the yogurt ‘tang’ and the coconut flavor doesn’t come through as strong as coconut milk. I put coconut milk in my coffee and it’s overpowering. I tend to flavor it with nutmeg and vanilla (sometimes brandy) and the like just to pretend that flavor is intentional. Conclusion: I like it. I will make more of this in the future using the successful batch as a starter. Peace

1 comment:

  1. Not being able to do cow dairy, I understand about the bloating. I don't have trouble with our goat milk though, so most of it is turned into yogurt. Interesting about the coconut milk. I love coconut and this sounds really good! I think I'll give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete