Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Drunken Cranberry Sauce

Peace.

Today is a double post because I cooked 2 things last night for TG. Tonight I will cook a few more dishes. So that on Thursday, I will only have the turkeys, rolls and green beans to prepare. One of the things I prepare early is the cranberry sauce.

Most folks don't realize that the cranberry sauce we all grew up eating, the one in the can, has swine in the form of gelatin. Since I don't eat land animal products, I needed to find an alternative. Turns out this recipe is more flavorful that what I was used too. The funny thing is folks don't want to try it because they want the can! Their loss.

I have been making this cranberry sauce for so long, I have added and removed things from previous recipes. So I now take full credit for it.

A full bag of cranberries
1 Cup of OJ
1 Cup of Sugar
1 Can of whatever sweet fruit you like with the juice
1/2 Cup Jack Daniels or whatever type of dark liquor you like. Must be dark liquor!

Some folks like nuts... I don't

Start with the OJ and cranberries. Boil on medium heat at the back of the stove. Cranberries pop when they cook and will stain the stove and possibly burn you if you get a pop. Once things get boiling and popping, add the sugar and reduce the heat to low. don't cover this to avoid the popping. Covering will cause a sticky boil over mess. Add in the fruit with the juice. Allow this to reduce as much as possible; BUT you MUST stir this every few minutes because the fruit will settle to the bottom and possible burn. When you stir it, be prepared to see it super boil then calm down. Once you have a thick consistency of sauce turn of the burner and.... Add the alcohol! You want to cook some but not all of the alcohol off. The alcohol adds flavor and preserves the sauce. Once cool enough to handle, place in container and allow to set in the refrigerator. I made this on Monday and it was pretty damn good in the pot. By Thursday this will be heavenly.



Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment