Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Cultural Misappropriation?

Peace!


This is a trend that I have been watching for a moment now. It's also something I have been giving serious consideration to....

Currently “tribal prints” and “ankara” are trending. In regular-speak, African prints. They are all over the runways. And when that happens, white folks pick it up. Well I can't stand seeing white people in African print. It's not for them. But guess what? As a Black-American, I don't touch Native American Culture... it's not mine, Indian culture... it's not mine, Asian Culture... it's not mine. As much as I would love to wear a sari, I won't. Africans don't like any non-Africans wearing their tribal prints. Not even Black Americans. Apparently, it's not for us either.

I've had the experience of wearing an “African outfit” and some Africans getting all up in my grill. They were what I'd call aggressive. (I've been told that's how they interact and there isn't hostility there) They flat out told me to not wear the print unless it was a special occasion. Work didn't qualify as a special occasion. Hmm....

Another time I was in an African store that sold fabric (along with other things). When I took some fabric to the counter to be cut, the owner asked me what was I going to do with it. I told her I was planning to make a skirt. She asked where I was planning to wear said skirt. That earned her a side eye. How is this her business? But I went along and answered her. I said to work. She shook her head and said the fabric was too special for that. So before she cut it, I gave her an option... either cut it, make the sale and stop trippin' about what I'm a do with it, or..... keep it in the store. She sold it to me with no more conversation. I even get emails to let me know what they have on sale.

Here is my question... If you don't want folks wearing your stuff.... Why sell it? What the hell do you think folks are going to do with 2 yards of ankara print?

I have often wondered what Africans feel when they see Black Americans wearing their print. I see why white folks should be shunned, But us too? I know we aren't Africans... but Really??? It makes sense on paper, but the Reality of things is you don't know a pigmented person is Purely African unless they say so.

I get skeeved out when I see white folks practice Hoodoo, Santaria, Palo, Vodun, or any of the ATRs. I mentioned that I don't like to see white people wearing African print. I don't like them wearing dreadlocks or cornrows either. I don't acknowledge white rappers... well maybe 3rd Base, but that's it! And Rachel Dolezal....? I can't ! White people have a track record of stealing culture, bastardizing it and then selling it back to us for a profit. But Black people don't do that....Can't do that... we do not HAVE the power to do that. All we can do is advertise. I wonder what they think when Rihana... who is not African, but West Indian.... wears their print? Beyonce wears a lot of ankara too.... But that might be different since they are famous. Famous people get passes for all sorts of things...

This is how I see this.... Since Africans have these issues, I won't buy it anymore. But I will use what I have in my stash. But if Africans wanna be truly Gully about preserving their traditions.... then don't sell it. Being on this end of the controversy is interesting.


Peace

http://www.mycoloures.com/2014/10/culture-is-not-costume-why-non-africans.html?showComment=1438695661638#c7875778901119616792

http://www.culturepattern.com/blog/2014/10/opinion-cultural-appropriation-black-americans/

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, being that I grew up being put in African prints myself by the Nigerian side of my family on very special occasions -- which I still am -- I have to wonder about your conclusions. I have only my own family to speak from, but they themselves (aside from some loungewear at home) only wear those fabulous prints on special occasions.

    At weddings, etc. they wear the extra special stuff, and here's an interesting tidbit about that. I can't remember for how long, but by now I think it's been decades that the fancy fabrics aren't even "African" -- they're made in INDIA.

    Yes, there are endless issues between Africans and Black Americans, but I'd never heard anything about the fabric issue, though, granted, I've been far from any public eye since I left Atlanta 7 years ago.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to ponder.....

      http://www.forharriet.com/2015/09/can-black-americans-culturally.html

      https://thsppl.com/black-america-please-stop-appropriating-african-clothing-and-tribal-marks-3210e65843a7

      http://www.racked.com/2015/9/15/9325959/african-american-appropriation-afropunk-fashion-history-zipporah-gene

      Delete