Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Reheating Pizza in a Frying Pan

Peace.

I love pizza as I'm sure millions do. I can eat cold pizza and be perfectly satisfied. After all it is the breakfast of champions! I was single a long time and I didn't fight the pressure to eat a whole pizza at one sitting. That's when I learned that pizza freezes beautifully. You can't eat pizza straight from the freezer. But there has been debate on the interwebs of what is the most effective way to reheat pizza.

I don't microwave. So that's out. I heat my oven and/or toaster oven and reheat my slices that way. I saw the arguments on reheating pizza in a frying pan.... and we eat pizza weekly.... I had to try this. When we eat pizza for dinner, I can't eat my share in one meal. So I eat the rest for breakfast the morning after. And since I KNOW I'm going to eat it for breakfast, I don't put it up. I just keep it in the oven.

Well I heated my slice up on a non stick griddle. The same one I used to make the God's eggs. The bottom of the slice heated nicely, but the top... you know where the cheese is... didn't. So I covered the slice and let it heat a little more. The result was a burned black crispy crust, and lukewarm cheese that was not melty by anyone's definition. I could only eat the top part which left me hungry later.

There are folks calling this the second calling. I call it a failure and a waste of pizza.

Here are some links for your perusal...
http://thedeliciousdishbyray.blogspot.com/2008/01/great-pizza-re-heat-debate.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys6BkhVJ-gk
http://laruetx.com/life/pizza.html
http://www.labefanapizza.com/best-reheating-pizza-methods-from-la-befana-pizzeria/



Peace

2 comments:

  1. Well, being a weekly pizza eater and lover of those leftover slices, of course I have to put in my 2 cents. The frying pan idea sounds intriguing, but also sounds like it needed a lid! Not sure if that would make it soggy, but next week I'll have to give that a try for myself. I usually like it reheated in my toaster oven, except my toaster oven usually doesn't behave itself, *sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh I did put a lid on it... albeit late. It did nothing to melt the cheese.

    ReplyDelete