Thursday, August 13, 2009

Personal Dilemma and Such....

It is my personal opinion that saving the planet should be legally mandated. But who listens to me?

Every morning I have morning coffee as so may do. I have the to-go cups for the commute, but hardly ever use it. I don’t have time to make coffee at home (lazy) and I like to stop and get a croissant too.

Here is the thing…. Why do most coffee places offer you Styrofoam containers to put coffee in? I can venture a guess… It’s cheaper! And who isn’t concerned now a days with the bottom line? But I as a consumer have the ability to consciously not use Styrofoam products. I can bring a re-usable container to the store and purchase my coffee that way. But usually they want you to use their container, and I ain’t buying another plastic product that I don’t need. I already have several.

Why don't I like styrofoam? Because they don't decompose. Every styrofoam container that has ever been made is sitting soemwhere... intact! And they cannot be recycled into anything the way plastic can be. It is just not good for the planet.

So what do I do? Try to convince each store manager every day I go there to let me use my own container? Try to convince the store/national chain of how environmentally irresponsible they are being by not using paper products (then they’d be killing trees!). Or just make my own stuff at home? Guess which one I’m leaning on?

I wish I was bold enough to find a bigger venue to persuade the average person of the need to be more environmentally conscious and self sufficient. Hence, the crunchiness.



Peace


PS: Something to browse through.... http://www.earthresource.org/campaigns/capp/capp-styrofoam.html

No comments:

Post a Comment