Saturday, January 28, 2017

Garden Dreams......

Peace!

I got a TON of garden catalogs so far. This is the season for planning a garden so that is right and exact. I've made a few purchases this year already. I bought seed pellets. I plan to get some actual plastic flower pots to start seeds in since those are reusable. I'm not sure if I can buy new pellets for next year that fit in the old containers. I tried Styrofoam cups and that didn't work. Idk why... Pellets make things so much easier.... But I'm going to do a comparison this season. Half pellet, half pot.

I bought a light and a growing mat. I looked at the unit where all that stuff was together... BUT.... I'm thinking no. I got the same feeling when I looked at a long armed quilting machine. It be nice to have, but how could I justify the cost or the space?

This year I'm going to grow more plants in the ground rather than bales. My bales from last year still work, so I'm going to use them this year to plant my pole beans. Last year I didn't plant nearly enough I really enjoyed the beans I got to eat. But only I enjoyed them. There wasn't enough to share. I have space in the back (I know I said I wasn't going to garden back there anymore) to plant bush beans aka black eyed peas and corn. Right off the front porch, I'm planting tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and watermelon. Damn what my neighbors think. I was hoping to to permaculture it but even if it's unsightly... I don't care.

I'm also planning to grow a bunch of greens: collards, kale and calallo. I like and should eat more greens. I'm planning them in a moderately shady spot. I hope that works. I'm going to try my hand at strawberries too. I have a sunny spot ready!

I bought about $30 worth of seeds and have plans to buy more. So an additional garden goal for 2017 is to learn how to save seeds.

I actually drew out a garden plan. How about that for adulting! It's complete with companion planting of marigold and basil. Last year bugs got the good stuff and I was pissed. So I've decided that I'm not above chemicals. This is my last year planting and eating everything I grow. 2018, I plan to have excess to do some canning and preservation. I'm planning a fall garden as well. But that is a far dream away.

I'm not a Wiccan, but I find that their wheel of the year is VERY useful for planning out my garden schedule. They have a holiday coming up on Thursday. I'm planning to start my seeds that day. The sunniest room in my home is the living room. When I close it off with the heat on, it's also the warmest. I'll turn space heaters on if I have to. I don't have a lot of furniture in there now so it will be my greenhouse until another Wiccan holiday of Beltane comes and I set my plants out for the duration. Lughnasadh is another holiday that starts on August 1st. I'll sow seeds for my winter garden. Wiccans planned it all out for me. And I'm taking the best part.

I plan to live in my home for a long time. So I have time to perfect the landscape. The God likes smelly plants so I'm adding some gardenias and something orange in the front. I haven't figured what, but it has to have a fragrance. I personally LOVE hydrangeas so they are going to be planted as well. I want to add some azaleas, but I don't want the yard to look hap-hazard. I don't really like the white ones, but that's what I'll probably plant for consistency. I can always add color in front of them in future years. I'm planning some pink and orange roses in memory of my mother.

I really hope this summer isn't as hot as last summer. I timed everything wrong and screwed up a lot. The big difference between this year and last year, is this summer I will have a job and can afford this hobby in addition to my sewing addiction.

So this is me rattling on... But trust and believe that I'm excited! I need this right now.


Peace




No comments:

Post a Comment