Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Long Over Due Update.....

Peace Y'all,

I know it has been a minute since I have gotten back here. I'm not sure I have Built here this year! I have 2 readers and I feel responsible to post something at least a little regularly. I'm a do better....

That being said....

This economy sucks! They say it is rebounding but I see no evidence of it. Maybe they are trickling down. But they haven't gotten to where I am yet. And that trickle down theory is old bull. Showering the top of the food chain will have little to no effect on the people at the bottom. And we have to wait for some nasty, used foolishness to get to us when they damn well feel like it.

So what am I doing now a days to maintain my cipher and help my own personal economy? I have been bringing my lunch to work. That may seem like a no brainer, but think about it.... How many people do you know who consistently bring their lunch to work rather than eating out locally? I don't know very many people who do that. When I'm riding mass transit, I don't see as many lunch bags as I don't see. It's not even 50/50. More like 65/35 Not bringing to bringing. So folks are either not eating or they are buying their lunches.

Now I ain't one to tell folks what to do with their money, because I don't want anyone telling me what to do with mine. But bringing my lunch has considerably helped me out. It forces me to cook. If I cook, that means I'm probably not eating dinner out. The preparing of my lunch in the morning, has me eating while I do it so now I have breakfast. And I don't need to buy the little snack I allow myself.

You know what sparked this change? The cafeteria at my job. They did not raise their prices. The decreased their portions. I am NOT paying the same price for 1/2 the amount of fries. So I'm boycotting their facility or purchasing things they couldn't change. Like a veggie burger or an egg. But a veggie burger is not good without the fries so that squashed that.

I really notice the savings too. I don't drive my car much. I take mass transit, so I'm saving on gas. I refuse to purchase garbage bags. Why buy something that you are pay to through out? I am going through my stash of grocery bags quickly. I ain't scared. Whenever I need more bags I ask for plastic instead of paper, or leave my reusable bag in the car. I am still making all my own condiments and blending a lot of my own skin products. This may sound crazy, but just from those few changes, I feel healthier. I am kind of avoiding grocery stores in favor of markets. I assume the produce is fresher. It is certainly dirtier. And I will start my garden eventually.

What are y'all up to?


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment